- EDC was engaged to investigate a conveyer pulley shaft failure and determine the effect on the system with increased conveyer speeds.
The scope included:
- Strain gauge installation to assess torsion and bending in the pulley shaft.
- Measure vibration in the conveyor drives.
- Conduct a dynamic simulation of the drive system and pulley using the collected site data.
- Conduct a shaft assessment (AS1403).
- Strain gauge installation was challenging as a result of access constraints on the shaft.
- Simulating the coupling stiffness effectively in the FEA modelling.
- Identified the main load contributing to shaft failure.
- Identified the root cause for the drive vibration.
- Uncovered the discrepancy in vibration between the two drives.
- Provided recommendation for minimising the drives vibration and improving the shaft design for the revised conveyor speed.